So, you’re ready to upgrade your heating and cooling system or perhaps you’re preparing to install your very first HVAC system in your home. Like many homeowners, you’ve called a few contractors in for estimates so you can compare pricing and packages. But have you checked beyond the price quote to make sure they are trustworthy?
As many New Jersey homeowners have discovered over the past couple of years, not all HVAC contractors are what they seem on the surface—much to the consumers’ dismay. Performing unnecessary work and driving up the cost of the job is one area to look out for. But how can consumers protect their homes and their wallets against unscrupulous contractors? Here are some tips for consumers anywhere and specifically for those in New Jersey, where we conduct business.
- Ask for references. Of course, any contractor will give you the best of the best from recent jobs but this will give you an opportunity to ask past customers pointed questions about the projects and garner different feedback. If the contractor balks when asked for references, or has no testimonials on the company website, walk away.
- Do an online search for the companies you’re interviewing. There are plenty of websites where consumers can submit reviews and others that are more industry-oriented that may have valuable information to consider.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau. Although not all companies are members, it only takes a minute and you might uncover unwelcome reviews and a history of complaints … or an A or A+ rating! Go to www.bbb.org for information and to find your local chapter.
- Contact the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs. This agency regulates contractors and serves as an important watchdog for consumers. Make sure the companies you plan to do business with do not have complaints lodged against them. You can check online and save yourself a lot of heartache in the process.
- Call Bloomfield Cooling, Heating & Electric. We take every project as seriously as if it were being installed in our own homes.
- Bloomfield Cooling, Heating & Electric has been voted “Best HVAC Contractor” three years in a row in Suburban Essex magazine’s annual Readers’ Choice Awards.
- Our company has also received the President’s Award from Carrier (we are a Carrier authorized factory dealer); winners of this industry honor are noted for leadership, management, customer satisfaction, expertise, business growth and operational excellence.
- We carry an “A” rating from customers on Angie’s List and we’re now in our 11th year as an Angie’s List Super Service Award provider.
Need a quote on a new HVAC system? Want to find out more about our maintenance plans that keep your unit running at peak performance? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (973) 237-0505 to set up your free consultation with the HVAC contractor hundreds of NJ customers have trusted for decades.